Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Garry Nkombo to contest Mazabuka Central seat as an independent candidate after residents call on him to represent them.

Garry Nkombo to contest Mazabuka Central seat as an independent candidate after residents call on him to represent them.
News May 19, 2026

Garry Nkombo to contest Mazabuka Central seat as an independent candidate after residents call on him to represent them.

Author

Breaking News Zambia

News

I’M READY TO GO INDEPENDENT IF YOU SUPPORT ME – GARY NKOMBO By Dingindaba Jonah Buyoya Former Local Government Minister and Mazabuka lawmaker Gary Nkombo has hinted at contesting future elections as an independent candidate, telling supporters he feels abandoned by colleagues and “thrown to the dumpsite.” This comes after the ruling United Party For […]

I’M READY TO GO INDEPENDENT IF YOU SUPPORT ME – GARY NKOMBO

By Dingindaba Jonah Buyoya

Former Local Government Minister and Mazabuka lawmaker Gary Nkombo has hinted at contesting future elections as an independent candidate, telling supporters he feels abandoned by colleagues and “thrown to the dumpsite.”



This comes after the ruling United Party For National Development (UPND), to which he belongs, adopted a different candidate to replace him in the constituency.



Nkombo had sat out the adoption process, following what is now and evident fall out with his party leadership.

Speaking at a public gathering in Mazabuka Tuesday evening, Nkombo said he had been sidelined within his party and accused of wrongdoings he denies.



“I never thought a day like this would ever come… my colleagues put me aside a long time ago. I am ready to work for you [as independent], but will you vote for me? I have been accused of many things, including the ones I know nothing about. You, the people, can defend me!” he told the crowd.



Nkombo’s remarks mark a dramatic turn for the veteran politician, who has held senior government positions and played a visible role in national politics. His suggestion of running independently could reshape the political dynamics in Mazabuka, a constituency where he has long enjoyed grassroots support and served for two decades.



In May 2025, President Hakainde Hichilema dismissed Nkombo from his role as Minister of Local Government and Rural Development. The official announcement did not provide detailed reasons, but the move was widely covered as part of a cabinet reshuffle.



By March 2026, the UPND formally removed him from its National Management Committee (NMC) and stripped him of his role as head of elections. Reports linked this to internal disagreements, including his stance during debates on constitutional amendments, though Nkombo himself has publicly denied wrongdoing.



This is the first public show of his fall out with the ruling party, which he says he is still a part of.

It is yet to be seen whether he will proceed with contesting the seat as an independent candidate.

Community Feedback

No approved comments yet.