Chisamba man gets five years after stabbing ex-wife’s lover
The Chisamba Magistrate’s court has sentenced a 40-year-old man to five years’ imprisonment with hard labour for causing grievous bodily harm. Resident Magistrate Susan Magalashi yesterday convicted and sentenced Herolite Mwanachipeso of Wayamanyama village in Chief Chamuka’s…
The Chisamba Magistrate’s court has sentenced a 40-year-old man to five years’ imprisonment with hard labour for causing grievous bodily harm.
Resident Magistrate Susan Magalashi yesterday convicted and sentenced Herolite Mwanachipeso of Wayamanyama village in Chief Chamuka’s area after finding him guilty of the offence.
Mwanachipeso was charged with one count of grievous bodily harm, contrary to Section 229 of the Penal Code Act, Chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
On November 30, 2025, Mwanachipeso attacked Andrew Lemba with a knife, inflicting injuries that endangered his life and caused permanent damage.
During trial, Mwanachipeso denied the charge and told the court that he was at home sleeping with his current wife when he received a phone call from his ex-wife, Asphina Mulendema, at around 21:00 hours.
He said Mulendema informed him that her brother had been stabbed by a masked man who had fled the scene.
“Asphina Mulendema is my ex-wife. I left her in 2024 because she was a prostitute, and on a number of occasions I found her with men. She called me on this day around 21:00 hours, telling me that there was a masked man who came, stabbed her brother and fled,” Mwanachipeso said.
Mwanachipeso further told the court that he was later apprehended by members of the Community Crime Prevention Unit at Chipembi when he was on his way to Malambo Mine.
His defence was supported by his current wife, Costatina Mbozi, who testified in court.
However, six prosecution witnesses testified that Mwanachipeso was the person who attacked Lemba with a knife, leaving him with a deep, life-threatening wound to the stomach.
The court heard that Lemba suffered lacerated intestines and was initially taken to Mwapula Health Post before being transferred to Chongwe District Hospital and later to Levy Mwanawasa University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka.
Lemba told the court that he underwent emergency surgery and was admitted to the hospital for about a month.
“After I was stabbed, my intestines protruded, and I was taken to Mwapula Health Post before being transferred to Chongwe District Hospital and later to Levy Mwanawasa Hospital in Lusaka,” Lemba said.
The prosecution also presented photographs and a medical report as evidence.
The court further heard that Mwanachipeso was seen in the area wearing a mask and carrying a screwdriver and a large knife, while threatening to stab anyone found with his ex-wife.
In his warn-and-caution statement to police, Mwanachipeso admitted being in the area at the time of the incident but denied stabbing Lemba.
He said he had gone there to seek reconciliation with his ex-wife and her parents when he discovered that she was with another man.
Delivering judgment, Magistrate Susan Magalashi said she was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the prosecution had proved its case against Mwanachipeso.
“The true events of the matter are that he was rightly identified as the person who stabbed the complainant, as he was obsessed with his ex-wife and could not leave her alone with any other man,” Magistrate Magalashi said.
In mitigation, Mwanachipeso told the court that he was asthmatic and responsible for caring for his sick aunt and children, who he said would suffer if he was imprisoned.
He also said he was receiving Social Cash Transfer support on behalf of his elderly grandfather.
However, Magistrate Magalashi said the offence was serious and carried a maximum sentence of seven years’ imprisonment.
“The offence of grievous bodily harm carries a maximum sentence of seven years. This is a very serious offence, and you cannot go around stabbing every man who approaches your ex-wife. It is wrong,” she said.
The court subsequently sentenced Mwanachipeso to five years’ imprisonment with hard labour, effective August 19, 2026.
Mwanachipeso initially faced a charge of unlawful wounding, which w
Community Feedback