Monday, August 17, 2026

Government says eleven held in Lusaka militia raid, Mundubile found at scene

Government says eleven held in Lusaka militia raid, Mundubile found at scene
Local News Aug 16, 2026

Government says eleven held in Lusaka militia raid, Mundubile found at scene

Author

Breaking News Zambia

Local News

Government says a joint security operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area on the night of 13th August uncovered a suspected militia cell and seized high-grade military weapons, with eleven people apprehended including NRPUP presidential candidate Brian Mundubile. Zambia Police,…

Government says a joint security operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area on the night of 13th August uncovered a suspected militia cell and seized high-grade military weapons, with eleven people apprehended including NRPUP presidential candidate Brian Mundubile.

Zambia Police, acting on a tip-off from members of the public, led the raid on a Kabulonga premises, according to a statement issued by Secretary to the Cabinet Patrick Kangwa on 16th August. The statement said the persons of interest had been under surveillance for several years, with intensified monitoring in recent months.

Government said some of those involved had links to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, describing the operation as necessary to counter a serious threat to State security.

Officers recovered restricted high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials the statement said were intended for use in armed insurrection. Some occupants of the premises fired on law enforcement officers during the raid, resulting in an exchange of fire, the statement said. Several suspects fled the scene and remain unaccounted for.

Government said senior members of certain political parties were also present when the operation was carried out.

Eleven people were apprehended and now face various criminal charges. The statement named them as George Chisanga, Dr Bishop Trevor Mwamba, Simon Phiri, Richard Banda, Francis Mulenga and Patrick Mwansa, all of whom Government said are being held at police stations across Lusaka.

The statement said the suspects have been charged and that their families and lawyers will be granted access to them.

Government also confirmed that Mundubile, the presidential candidate for the New Revolution Party (NRPUP), was found at the scene. The statement did not specify whether Mundubile has been charged, arrested, or is being treated as a witness or person of interest.

Kangwa said investigations are continuing and that the public will be kept informed as they progress.

The claims have not yet been independently verified, and none of the named individuals had responded publicly at the time the statement was issued.

The operation was disclosed two days after Zambia’s 13th August general election, during a period in which the vote count was suspended amid legal challenges from the Law Association of Zambia and disputes over the counting process. Mundubile has been a vocal figure during the post-election period, including raising allegations over ballot box handling.

Government’s statement does not draw an explicit connection between the Kabulonga operation and the ongoing election dispute, though the timing places the announcement squarely within the contested count period.

Kangwa’s statement was issued to the media on 16th August under the authority of the Office of the Cabinet Secretary. It represents the sole account of the operation currently available.

No court date has been announced for the accused. The next development in the case is expected to come from the charging police stations or from lawyers representing the accused, once family and legal access, promised in the statement, has taken place.

Full Statement

REPUBLIC OF ZAMBIA
PRESS STATEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Government wishes to inform the public that on the night of 13th August 2026, the Zambia Police – working on a tip-off from vigilant members of the public – led a joint operation to apprehend suspected militia and persons of interest in an operation that was conducted at a premise in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area. The persons of interest have been under surveillance over the last few years and more recently in the last few months.

Additionally, some of the individuals involved were connected to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, thus posing a serious threat to State security.

The individuals in issue were found in possession of high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials for use in armed insurrection.

The operation resulted in the seizure of restricted high-grade military weapons and the apprehension of suspected members of the militia and other persons found at the scene, while others fled and their whereabouts are unknown.

During the operation, the occupants of the premises fired shots at the Law Enforcement Agents which resulted in an exchange of fire.

Others found on the scene were senior members of certain political parties in Zambia.

Among eleven persons apprehended from the scene of crime who face various criminal charges include Mr. George Chisanga, Dr. Bishop Trevor Mwamba, Mr. Simon Phiri, Mr. Richard Banda, Mr. Francis Mulenga and Mr. Patrick Mwansa, all of whom are held in lawful custody at various police stations in Lusaka.

The suspects have been charged and access will be given to their families and their Lawyers.

It is also important to mention that Mr. Brian Mundubile – Presidential candidate for the NRPUP was also found on the scene.

Investigations are ongoing and the Nation will be kept updated accordingly.

Original Signed
By
Patrick K. Kangwa
SECRETARY TO THE CABINET

Issued to the Media: 16th August, 2026

Community Feedback

No approved comments yet.

Get the latest alerts

Receive breaking news and new job notifications from ZinstaBlog.

You will only be asked for browser permission once.