Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Former MP Mutotwe Kafwaya confirmed dead after Kabulonga operation

Former MP Mutotwe Kafwaya confirmed dead after Kabulonga operation
News Aug 19, 2026

Former MP Mutotwe Kafwaya confirmed dead after Kabulonga operation

Author

Breaking News Zambia

News

FORMER Lunte Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya has been confirmed dead following a joint security operation in Kabulonga on August 14, 2026 Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba said on August 14, 2026, around 19:30 hours, a Joint Task Force team from the Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC), including the Drug Enforcement Commission, conducted an

Audio article Listen to this story Share Send this story

FORMER Lunte Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya has been confirmed dead following a joint security operation in Kabulonga on August 14, 2026

Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba said on August 14, 2026, around 19:30 hours, a Joint Task Force team from the Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC), including the Drug Enforcement Commission, conducted an intelligence-led operation at a named premises in Kabulonga.

Mr Musamba said the operation followed intelligence gathered after the recovery of K7.3 million during the second Task Force operation in Lusaka.

He said the intelligence concerned activities by individuals of national interest who were suspected of posing a threat to national security.

Mr Musamba said the defence and security wings had been monitoring the activities of the individuals since November 2023.

He said upon arrival at the residence, the Joint Task Force team was met with gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, prompting the officers to return fire.

Mr Musamba said one unidentified male person was fatally wounded during the exchange of gunfire, and a firearm was recovered.

“The unidentified person was immediately rushed to the hospital for medical attention, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Following social media reports about a missing person, efforts were made to ascertain whether the description of the body matched that of Mr Mutotwe Kafwaya. This evening, family members were called and have positively identified the deceased as Mr Mutotwe Kafwaya,” he said.

Mr Musamba said a total of 11 people were apprehended at the premises, as earlier announced in a statement by the Secretary to the Cabinet.

“Among the suspects were three ex-commandos with specialised special forces skills, presenting a potential national security risk, with connections to hostile groupings. These individuals possess extensive military skills and were trained as snipers and in marksmanship with small- and high-calibre weapons, hijacking and assassination skills,” he said.

He said the suspects had specialised special forces training in weapon proficiency and intelligence gathering and were qualified in commando tactics.

“They also possess skills in specialised military and operational techniques, as well as being highly trained in survival, escape, resistance and evasion,” he said.

Advertisement Advertise here Reach readers inside premium article pages.

Engage with this story

Comment 0Likes 0Reactions 0Comments 0Shares Be the first reader to react to this story

Discussion

Join the Conversation

Share your thoughts. Let's keep it respectful and constructive.

Start the discussion Sort by: No comments yetBe the first to bring a thoughtful perspective to this story. Comment as a guest No account is needed. Sign in only if you want your comment tied to your profile. Sign in instead

Community Feedback

No approved comments yet.

Get the latest alerts

Receive breaking news and new job notifications from ZinstaBlog.

You will only be asked for browser permission once.