CJOC Confirms Mutotwe Kafwaya Killed During Kabulonga Security Operation, 11 Suspects in Custody
The Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC) has confirmed that the man who was killed during a joint security operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area has been identified as former Lunte Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya. The confirmation was made by Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba in a statement issued on behalf of the CJOC and […]
The Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC) has confirmed that the man who was killed during a joint security operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area has been identified as former Lunte Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya.
The confirmation was made by Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba in a statement issued on behalf of the CJOC and the country’s security chiefs.
According to Musamba, Kafwaya sustained fatal injuries during an exchange of gunfire that occurred at a named residence in Kabulonga at approximately 19:30 hours on August 14, 2026.
The Inspector General said the operation was conducted by a joint security task force that included officers from the Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) and other security agencies.
He explained that the operation followed intelligence gathered after authorities reportedly recovered K7.3 million during an earlier operation in Lusaka.
Musamba further disclosed that security agencies had been monitoring the activities of individuals suspected of posing a threat to national security since November 2023.
According to the statement, officers encountered armed resistance when they arrived at the residence.
Musamba said unidentified individuals allegedly opened fire on members of the security team, prompting officers to return fire.
During the confrontation, one individual was wounded and a firearm was recovered at the scene.
The injured man was immediately transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.
Following reports circulating on social media regarding Kafwaya’s disappearance, security agencies contacted his family, who later positively identified the body.
The operation also resulted in the arrest of 11 suspects, who remain in custody while investigations continue.
Authorities say the suspects are being investigated in connection with allegations relating to treason and any other offences that may emerge during the investigation.
Among those arrested are three former commandos who allegedly received specialised training in sniping, weapon handling, marksmanship, intelligence gathering and other military tactics.
Two retired police officers, including one who reportedly served in the Flying Squad, were also among those apprehended.
The suspects have been identified as Brazil Soko, 56; Jackson Mutyoka, 41; Bernard Chewe, 41; Simon Phiri, 43; Richard Banda, 49; George Kangwa Chisanga, 59; Trevor Mwamba, 68; Francis Mulenga, 26; Emmanuel Mulenga, 56; Patrick Mwansa, 39; and Darius Mwila, 57.
Security agencies also revealed that several weapons and tactical items were recovered during the operation.
According to Musamba, officers seized what authorities described as restricted military-grade weapons, including automatic Uzi firearms, five AK-47 rifles accompanied by 60 rounds of ammunition, a Zastava pistol, four Beretta magazines, a bulletproof vest and a commando dagger.
Investigators also recovered military-grade night-vision binoculars, tactical gloves, Taser-type devices, walkie-talkies, a digital video recorder and several electronic and information technology devices.
The Inspector General said all recovered weapons, ammunition, electronic devices and documents have been submitted for forensic analysis to establish their ownership, origin and possible connection to the offences under investigation.
Musamba assured the public that all suspects would be accorded their constitutional and legal rights throughout the investigation.
He added that any individual found not to be connected to the alleged offences would be released.
The police chief also rejected claims that the operation targeted individuals based on their political affiliation, social status or occupation.
He urged members of the public to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information on social media while investigations continue.
The developments surrounding Kafwaya’s death and the arrests made during the Kabulonga operation have generated significant public debate, with many Zambians calling for transparency as authorities continue their investigations.
Community Feedback