Brian Mundubile’s NRPUP Party Concedes Defeat, Congratulates Hichilema as Mundubile Pursues Poll Challenge
BREAKING NEWS | NRPUP President Concedes Defeat, Congratulates Hichilema as Mundubile Pursues Poll Challenge National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity president Ezra Tembo has conceded defeat in Zambia’s 2026 presidential election and congratulated President Hakainde Hichilema on securing a second term, creating a striking contrast with the position taken by NRPUP presidential candidate Brian […]
BREAKING NEWS | NRPUP President Concedes Defeat, Congratulates Hichilema as Mundubile Pursues Poll Challenge
National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity president Ezra Tembo has conceded defeat in Zambia’s 2026 presidential election and congratulated President Hakainde Hichilema on securing a second term, creating a striking contrast with the position taken by NRPUP presidential candidate Brian Mundubile.
Speaking at a press briefing on Wednesday, Tembo said he accepted the outcome and thanked supporters for backing a party he said was only five months old. He described its emergence as Zambia’s largest opposition force as a major political achievement.
Tembo wished Hichilema well as he begins another term and called on political leaders and supporters to respect the outcome, maintain peace and place Zambia above political differences.
The concession comes after Hichilema secured about 2.97 million votes, defeating Mundubile by more than 1.1 million votes, according to the declared presidential totals. Mundubile finished second with about 1.86 million votes, establishing NRPUP as the main opposition force in the presidential vote.
But Tembo’s position immediately raises questions about NRPUP’s post-election direction. Mundubile has rejected the presidential result and said his team intends to challenge the August 13 election through the courts. He maintains NRPUP possesses evidence of irregularities involving electoral materials, ballot security and differences between some polling-station records and the final tally.
“We will not accept the Presidential elections results announced by the ECZ,” Mundubile said in his earlier statement. He also insisted: “We won this election right from the start,” while urging supporters to remain calm as his team explores legal options.
Tembo is now publicly taking a different position. By conceding and congratulating Hichilema, the NRPUP president appears to accept the same presidential outcome his party’s candidate says should be challenged.
The distinction could become important. A concession is a political statement and does not necessarily settle whatever legal options may exist. But Mundubile contested under the NRPUP banner.
A public acceptance of the result by the party president could therefore create questions about who speaks for the party on the proposed petition and whether the challenge retains the backing of the NRPUP leadership.
The Tonse Alliance has not responded to Tembo’s remarks so far. Mundubile’s next statement will now be closely watched, particularly on whether his proposed petition proceeds despite his party president accepting Hichilema’s victory.
The election may be over at the ballot box, but NRPUP now appears to have two competing messages about what happened: its president has conceded; its presidential candidate says he won and wants the result challenged.
© The People’s Brief | Goran Handya
Community Feedback