Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Mutotwe Kafwaya Confirmed Dead After Joint Security Operation, Opposition Leaders Demand Answers

Mutotwe Kafwaya Confirmed Dead After Joint Security Operation, Opposition Leaders Demand Answers
Local News Aug 19, 2026

Mutotwe Kafwaya Confirmed Dead After Joint Security Operation, Opposition Leaders Demand Answers

Author

Breaking News Zambia

Local News

The Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC) has confirmed that former government minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was the man fatally wounded during a joint intelligence-led security operation conducted in Kabulonga, Lusaka, on August 14, 2026. In a statement issued on behalf of the…

The Central Joint Operations Committee (CJOC) has confirmed that former government minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was the man fatally wounded during a joint intelligence-led security operation conducted in Kabulonga, Lusaka, on August 14, 2026.

In a statement issued on behalf of the CJOC and Service Chiefs, Inspector General of Police Graphel C. Musamba said a joint task force, which included officers from the Drug Enforcement Commission, moved to a named property in Kabulonga at about 19:30 hours following intelligence gathered after the recovery of K7.3 million during an earlier task force operation in Lusaka.

According to the CJOC, security agencies had been monitoring activities involving individuals considered to be of national security interest since November 2023.

Musamba said that when officers arrived at the residence, they were met with gunfire and resistance from unidentified individuals, prompting the task force to return fire. One man was fatally wounded and a firearm was recovered.

The wounded man was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Authorities initially described him as unidentified.

Following reports on social media concerning Kafwaya’s disappearance, authorities sought to establish whether the deceased matched his description. According to the statement, Kafwaya’s family was subsequently called and positively identified the body on Wednesday evening.

The CJOC said 11 people were apprehended at the premises. Among them, according to authorities, were three former commandos with extensive special forces training and two retired police officers. The 11 are being held in connection with alleged offences relating to treason and any other offences that may be established during investigations.

Authorities said those found not to be connected to the alleged offences would be released.

The task force also reported recovering weapons and other equipment from the premises, including military-version automatic Uzi weapons, five AK-47 rifles, 60 rounds of ammunition, a Zastava pistol, Beretta magazines, a bulletproof vest, a commando dagger, tactical equipment, walkie-talkies and electronic devices.

The recovered firearms, ammunition, documents and electronic material are being subjected to forensic examination to establish their ownership, source, intended use and any possible connection to the alleged offences.

The confirmation of Kafwaya’s death has triggered strong reactions from opposition political leaders.

Socialist Party President Fred M’membe described the killing as “very frightening, very saddening” and said the news had deeply affected his party’s leadership. He extended condolences to Kafwaya’s widow, children, family and friends, while calling for sobriety, humanity and justice.

Citizens First President Harry Kalaba said the circumstances surrounding Kafwaya’s death raised serious questions requiring transparency and accountability.

Kalaba called on authorities to explain who authorised the operation, what rules of engagement were applied and why lethal force was used. He also called for the matter to be reported to the International Criminal Court and urged international and regional institutions to take an interest in the case.

Former minister Chishimba Kambwili also reacted strongly, describing Kafwaya as a peaceful politician and saying his death represented a major blow to Zambia and its democracy.

The CJOC has rejected suggestions that its operations are intended to target people because of political affiliation, occupation or status. It said all those detained would be accorded their constitutional and legal rights and urged the public to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information.

Investigations remain ongoing, with authorities promising further updates as they progress.

Community Feedback

No approved comments yet.

Get the latest alerts

Receive breaking news and new job notifications from ZinstaBlog.

You will only be asked for browser permission once.