Kabimba backs Hichilema, takes hard line on security probe: “Thank God Mundubile lost”
BRIEFING | Kabimba backs Hichilema, takes hard line on security probe Veteran politician and former PF secretary-general Wynter Kabimba has emerged strongly in support of President-elect Hakainde Hichilema following the August 13 election, while backing firm state action in the continuing investigation into alleged militia activities. Speaking during an interview on Prime TV, Kabimba […]
BRIEFING | Kabimba backs Hichilema, takes hard line on security probe
Veteran politician and former PF secretary-general Wynter Kabimba has emerged strongly in support of President-elect Hakainde Hichilema following the August 13 election, while backing firm state action in the continuing investigation into alleged militia activities.
Speaking during an interview on Prime TV, Kabimba said he was relieved Brian Mundubile had lost the presidential election, arguing that Mundubile and his running mate Makebi Zulu lacked the political discipline required to contain cadreism.
“Thank God Mundubile lost,” Kabimba said, warning that Zambia could have faced serious instability had the opposition candidate won.
Kabimba also defended the principle behind the continuing security investigation involving people linked to Mundubile’s camp. “HH is not running a kantemba, he is running a country,” he said.
“If ten people want to threaten the security of 20 million Zambians, they must be arrested to protect the others.”
His comments follow police allegations that firearms, ammunition and military equipment were recovered during a security operation at a property linked to Mundubile.
Mundubile has rejected claims of a militia and disputed the official account of the operation. The allegations remain under investigation and have not been determined by a court.
Kabimba also urged churches to exercise caution when commenting on the matter because of its national-security implications.
The People’s Brief has meanwhile seen a letter dated August 21 in which Kabimba formally congratulated Hichilema on his re-election. He described the victory as “well-deserved” and praised Hichilema for taking nothing for granted during the campaign.
Kabimba, a senior counsel and veteran of Zambian politics who previously served as PF secretary-general, becomes another prominent political figure to publicly recognise Hichilema’s victory as the opposition continues debating its response to the election result.
© The People’s Brief | Ollus R. Ndomu
Community Feedback